As the student body of Malaysia’s institutions of higher education continues to diversify, so too does the need for increased cultural sensitivity – teachers’ and students’ – grow. A multi-cultural classroom is one in which teachers and students share similar learning goals while coming from different backgrounds. It is these different backgrounds, cultural-norms, social-norms and expectations that educators must be aware of and sensitive to if we wish to create positive learning environments for our students and less stressful environments for ourselves.
At the end of program, participants will be able to:
- Identify the relevance and importance of cross-cultural awareness
- Share the relevance and importance of cross-cultural awareness with students
- Recognize how teacher and student perceptions influence the learning outcomes and classroom atmosphere
- Employ effective classroom management strategies to manage a variety of cultures within a class
- Create meaningful learning experiences based on a variety of cultures in the classroom
- Display an ability to maintain high expectations for student performance while taking cultural differences into account
- Communicate effectively with students to maximise students’ learning
- Effectively address concerning behavior with appropriate solutions
Lecturers, teachers, trainers, and administrators in educational institutions who are directly or indirectly involved in the teaching and learning environment.
Module 1 – What is Cultural Awareness in the classroom?
- What does it look like?
- What are the challenges with implementation?
- The Importance of cultural awareness in you and your students
- Setting precedents in order for students to understand and follow the educator’s lead
- Expectations and Follow-Through
- Understanding your own beliefs
- Setting the right example
- Encouraging learners to share your philosophy
- Learning from student beliefs
Module 4 – Enforcing your Cultural Awareness Model
- Effectively sharing Your Rules
- Effectively implementing Your Routines
- Ensuring maximum participation, cooperation and collaboration from students
- Culturally diverse teaching approaches
- Reframing inappropriate responses (student and teacher) with suggested methods & strategies
- Real Time demonstration of Culturally Aware classroom strategies with peer feedback
TRAINER PROFILE - DAVID FINGEROTE
David began his career teaching in Southern California. Since moving to Asia in 2006, he has focused on increasing his professional skill-set while staying abreast of the latest trends in education, training, management and effective leadership. Having taught all age levels and all abilities within Ministries of Education, private and international schools and corporations in South Korea, the Philippines and Malaysia has reinforced David’s belief in the importance of continuing education with an emphasis on lifelong learning.
Training Experience & Accomplishments
David has extensive and broad experience in working with English Language learners of all skill-levels, ages and abilities. He is particularly interested in helping clients build their confidence where writing, reading, listening and speaking are concerned. For the past 10 years David has trained and educated: executives, public servants, educators and students.
The last four years have found David in Malaysia working with the Ministry of Education and international corporations focused on language education and training. David is known for his ability to inspire confidence in all learners and his willingness to adapt to learner realities while enforcing appropriate input.
For the past 10 years David has trained and educated executives, public servants, educators and students. The last five years have found David in Malaysia working with the Ministry of Education and international corporations. A focus on transformational leadership, effective management, clear & concise communication, presentation skills and general language education and training are all included under organizational and soft skills training. Research for the Ministry of Higher Education is the most recent inclusion to services provided.
As a direct result of his focus on institutional and individual needs and realities, David is known for his ability to inspire confidence in learners and satisfaction in organizations. All of this results in custom-tailored input – topics, information, techniques, strategies, feedback, etc. – which your participants and organization can use to absorb, adjust, implement, evaluate and reflect, internally.
Areas of Experience / Expertise:
Ministries of Education, Public/International/Private Education:
Increasing Student Talking Time
Anticipating and coping with change (internal & external)
Effective communication within departments
Orientation of New employees
Creating a sharing environment (teachers and students)
Observing, evaluating & providing constructive feedback to colleagues
Implementing systems to streamline processes
The Importance of on-going assessment and how to implement it
The Importance of Routines
Creating and Implementing Rules & Consequences
Multiple Intelligences (Awareness & Teaching to)
*Adjusting in real time
Managing Processes while Leading People
Identifying and Harnessing individual areas of competence
Creating Trusting Environments
Sharing Environments: Relying on One Another
Teluk Intan: Hutan Melintang: Public Primary Schools
Taiping: Batu Kurau: Public Primary Schools
Lenggong: Public Primary Schools
LMS: PPD, JPN
Sepang: Public Primary Schools
Kuen Cheng High School
Foon Yew High School, Kulai
Ministry of Education
Korean International School of Manila
ELSi language schools