WORKSHOP OVERVIEW (Join our public program on 26-27 June 2019, Malacca)
Managing risks is a key element of effective organization. To remain competitive, the management cannot afford to set up contingencies or control measures for every conceivable risk. Rather, they must assess each risk and develop a response proportionate to the risk. This course introduces learners to widely accepted risk assessment, management, and control practices using effective tools and techniques. This course also gives an insight into the legal implications if risks are not managed effectively.
This programme caters for any business operations that wishes to engage effective risk management practices.
> In-depth understanding of the types of risks that threaten organization at any given time.
> Knowledge of strategies used by highly successful management team to recognize risks, assess probabilities and potential impacts, and take steps to respond to risks
> Skills in using proven risk identification and analysis tools to identify, analyze, rank, and quantify risk.
> Insight into the statistical theory and analytical tools which are the foundation for probability estimations used to analyze and plan for managing risk.
> Plan Risk Management — Who is responsible for risk management, who should perform the risk analysis, when should it be done , and when should it be reviewed and updated?
> Identify Risk — What are the most critical risks facing an organization, and how can they be determined?
> Analyzing Potential Risk Probability and Impact — What tools are available to determine risk factors, to determine which risks should be focused on, and to determine what can be done to remove risk or reduce the potential impact on a organizational activities?
> Building a Risk Response Plan — How should the management team address each recognized risk, assign it to team members, build in contingencies, develop a mitigation or avoidance strategy, and accept the risk?
> Selecting Project Control Tools Using Proportionate Expenditure — What are the appropriate control tools that can help to mitigate and manage identified risks in various situations?
Introduction and Overview of ISO 31000: Risk Management
- Principles and Guidelines
Risk and Uncertainty
- Risk & Uncertainty Analysis
- Degree of Risk
- Risk Measurement
- Peril & Hazard
- How do we classify risks
- Risk affecting human and the Business Environment
- Risk & Human Behaviour
- Managing Risks
Overview of the Risk Management Process & Administration
- How did Risk Management evolved?
- Definition of Risk Management (Enterprise Risk Management and
Integrated Risk Management)
- The Risk Management Process
- Risk Management Plan
- Duties and Roles of a Risk Manager
- Existing and Potential Risk – Identification
- Evaluating and Analysing Risk
- Selection and Implementation of appropriate Loss Prevention / Reduction Techniques
- Monitoring and Reviewing the Risk Management Process
- Risk Management Tools
- Cost and Benefits of Risk Management
Setting the Risk Management Objectives
- Identifying and establishing the objectives of Risk Management Programme
- Organising the Risk Management Programme
- Controlling the Risk Management Function
- Drafting a Risk Management Policy
- Devising a Risk Management Plan (Framework)
Risk Identification and Analysis
- Perception and treatment of risks
- Attitudes / reaction towards risks.
- Identifying risk – Identification practise and techniques
- Identifying tools
- Risk Analysis of Potential Frequency and Gravity (severity) of losses.
- Selection & Implementation of the most appropriate Risk Management Technique
- Monitoring and reviewing suitability of management technique
Risk Evaluation and Assessment Techniques
- Risk Assessment Plan
- Risk Measurement
- Hazard and Loss Analysis
- Cause of Accidents and related theories
- Threat & Risk Analysis Risk Matrix (Basic Introduction and Understanding)
- Impact of Risk
- Management of threat and risk – Damage Control and Mitigation Plan
- Case Study
Short Video Presentation
- Identification and Analysis of Loss Exposure
- Types of Property and Values Exposed to Loss
- Risk Factors Causing Property Loss
- Financial Impact of property loss
- Techniques to identify Property Loss Exposure
- Risk Mitigation Plan
Liability Resulting from Risk Factor Materialisation
- Legal liability
- Legal liability risk
- Factors influencing legal liability risks
- Nature of legal liability in business
- Torts and legal liability
- Contract and legal liability
- Employers liability for injuries to employees
- Product Liability
- Risk Mitigation Plan
Personnel Loss Exposure Analysis
- Physical and human assets
- Employee Exposure Evaluation & Analysis
- Analysing Accidents at the Workplace
- Managing Employee Risk
Risk In Various Elements of the Organisation – Operational Risks
- Human Resources
- Security and Safety
- Concept of Risk – Brand Protection
Case Study and Classroom discussion on various Risk Management Strategies adopted at various organisation and government bodies.
Corporate Risk Control
- Risk Management Techniques
- Introduction to risk control
- Importance of risk control
- Role of government / authorities in risk control
- Theory of Accidental Causation and Control
- Risk control measures for specific risks
- Risk Control Methodology
- Damage Control Plan / Measures
Risk Management vs Crisis Management
- What does Risk Management do
- What happens when risk management fails or when risks are ignored
- Crisis Management and its related ingredients
- Implementation of both Risk Management and Crisis Management
Video of Failed Risk Management Plan / Where Risks were ignored
Corporate Risk Financing
- Risk Financing
- Risk Transfer: Commercial Insurance
- Impact of underlying risks on premium
- Utilisation of insurance in risk management strategy
- Common errors in insurance purchase
- Risk retention
Managing Specialised Risks
- Property Risk
- Crime Risk
- Technical Risk
- International Risk
Classification of Risks
- Gravity of risk
- Impact vs Likelihood
- Severity Rate
Business Continuity Plan (BCP)
- A model that supports a Risk Management Plan / Programme
- Devising a BCP Model
- Preparing a Risk Management Programme
- Conducting a Risk Assessment
- Identifying existing and potential risks
- Classifying risks with severity rate and likelihood of occurrence
- Suggest Corrective Actions
TRAINER PROFILE - SURESH KUMAR
S. Suresh Kumar is a trained and certified Risk Management professional in the area of Supply Chain Management and Brand Protection. He attained his Bachelors Degree in Law from the University of Wolverhampton (UK). He then went on to be trained and certified as an auditor and practitioner in the specialized area of Risk Management under the auspices of United States of America Customs and Border Protection(CTPAT Standards); and; Transported Asset Protection Association (TAPA Standards), Asia. He is also a Human Resources Development Trainer certified by the Human Resources Ministry.
He is currently the Managing Director of Paradigm Resources (his own business entity), specialized in providing risk management / assessment services for internal / external associates; Consultation on Brand Standards / Management / Protection; Contract Management; Outsourcing & Subcontracting; and; Human Resources training and development programmes on various specialized topics, predominantly, Risk Management related subject matters, either on an one off or Project basis.
Due to his passion for training and knowledge sharing, he is also currently a Lecturer for Asia e University, lecturing both undergraduate and post graduate students on Risk Management module.
With his background of a law degree, he is able to invoke legal implications in his programmes to make it more comprehensive and value added substance. In addition, his fluency in English and Bahasa Malaysia enables him to conduct training programmes effectively in both languages.
Prior to his involvement in this field, the facilitator has wide working experience throughout his 15 years of working career in the specialized area of Risk Management, Security Management and Investigations (HR, Security (Operational and Information Security) and Safety, Corporate Governance and Ethics). Being a Head of Department in each of this portfolios, he has acquired substantial job related knowledge and experience in sectors comprising of Manufacturing, Telecommunications, Hospitality Management (Brand Standard & Management) and Contract Manufacturing (Brand Protection and Management). He is also a trained Workplace Counselor and by virtue of his portfolio of having to deal with people of different job hierarchy, he has very profound people management skills, negotiation skills and effective interaction skills. His previous employers and related portfolios were as follows:-
> Infineon technologies (M) Sdn Bhd – Security Manager (Backend Manufacturing Plant, Melaka)
> Celcom Axiata Sdn Bhd – Manager, Head of Risk Management (Nationwide)
> Rennaisance Melaka Hotel (Marriott International) – Loss Prevention and Brand Standard Manager ( Melaka Hotel Facility)
> Flextronics Penang - Loss Prevention Manager ( 5 Contract Manufacturing Sites in Penang)
Project Involvement and Lead
> Enhancement Project of Campus wide Access Control and CCTV System
> Anti Fraud Awareness Lead
> Information & Data Protection Policy and Enforcement Project Plan Lead
> Setting up Framework for Corporate Governance and Ethical Conduct
> Ethics Awareness Programme
> Social Accountability 8000 (SA 8000) compliance project
> Site enhancement based on established standards ( OSH, ESH, EMS,CTPAT, TAPA)
> Environmental, Occupational Health and Safety Management System for Site
> Environmental, Occupational Health and Safety Training for plant wide employees and Contractors ( Contractors Green Card Programme)
> ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001 Environmental, Occupational Health and Safety Audit for Site and Contractor’s Site (Quarterly Awareness Training and Compliance Audits0
> Campus wide risk assessment to support customer requirements and potential customer requirements, inclusive of external warehouse loss prevention requirements and compliance inspection based on EHS, EMS, PDPA 2010 and Supply Chain Security Standards (TAPA & CTPAT)
> Risk assessment for a newly Flextronics Research and Development Centre in Manila, Philippines based on on EHS, EMS, Supply Chain Security Standards (TAPA & CTPAT)
> Warehouse (Internal /External) Audits – Operations and Information Security Standards
> Transport Security requirement and compliance audit (Replacement of Third Party Escort Services with In built Security features)
> Outsourcing & Subcontracting of Business and Manufacturing Process
> New Site set up and critical infrastructure planning for the Flextronics Penang Mechanical fab.
> Setting up of Crisis Management Team and functionality in collaboration with the Melaka State Crisis Management Team
> Plant wide Access Control System & Digital Patrolling System.
> Security and Safety Enhancement Project for Chip Card Business at Wuxi, China.
> Sub-Contractor Site Business Process, Security, Safety and Business Continuity Standards Enhancement Project
- Munich, Germany
- Manila, Philippines.
- Nantong, China.
- Melaka, Malaysia
> Supply Chain Security Enhancement Project
- Warehouse (Internal/External) Audits
- Route Audit.
- Ground Handling at Cargo Area - Malaysian Airlines System (MAS), Manila Airport, Philippines &
Pudong Airport, China.
• Supply Chain Security Practices & Risk Management Methodology recognized, absorbed and gazetted by Royal Malaysian Customs as guidelines for Customs Golden Client application.
• Trained Workplace Counsellor
• Trained and Certified Information & Data Security Auditor
• Television interview by National Hong Kong Television (NHK TV) on Crisis Management of the missing Malaysian Aircraft (MH370)